David Livingston wandered all around Burundi, Lake Tanganyika, and north and south of here searching for the elusive "Source of the Nile". Some people say Stanley and Livingston had their famous meeting ("Dr. Livingston, I presume") here in Burundi and there is a rock to commemorate the event near Bujumbura. Unfortunately, Livingston never discovered the source and he died trying. It's been interesting to read a biography on Livingston recently and to track his routes on a large African map my grandpa gave me - many of his stops were quite near here. But, many years after his death, the southernmost source of the Nile was in fact found in Burundi - that is the southernmost source of Lake Victoria that then eventually becomes the Nile. Burundi lies right on the continental divide, so it makes sense that the source would be here. Just south of the ridge pictured below, water flows south instead of north. A German explorer discovered this source of the Nile here in Burundi in the 1930s and we visited it recently - less than an hour from Kibuye.
They've built up the site for tourism purposes, though we enjoyed being the only tourists there. The hole beneath our feet is the source of the Nile.
Erica is a Burundian doctor I work with and I'm enjoying getting to know her more
That tiny stream somehow becomes the great Nile river that I could see from an airplane once on a flight over Africa
Burundian scenery
The German explorer built a pyramid to commemorate the connection to Egypt
The extent of my own explorations - climbing the pyramid :)
McLaughlin family (except Toby)
Rachel and I on the continental divide
Hot springs nearby













No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.