The campground Kumbya on the shores of Lake Kivu in Rwanda has been a retreat for missionaries for 70 years. And last week I appreciated the opportunity to experience Kumbya myself as I attended a conference/retreat there with 120 other missionaries from Burundi, Rwanda, and Kenya. That was my first visit to Rwanda and it was interesting to explore the similarities and differences between the neighboring countries Burundi and Rwanda. The languages are similar but we found we were unable to guess which language would work with people as we asked directions along the way - we tried English, French, Swahili, and Kirundi and sometimes one worked, sometimes another. But it is a blessing to be able to communicate, even if it is laborious after multiple attempts! And after 9 hours of driving, we were thrilled to be greeted by this beautiful site of Lake Kivu:
It was a bit more rustic than I expected, but morning and evening campfires were definitely one of the highlights of the week - especially when people shared imported marshmallows for s'mores!
![]() |
| It's always a treat to worship in English and this camp struck a great balance of organized activity and free time. I appreciated the multi denominational unity as we shared with one another. |
My favorite free time activity was the 3km swim to Three Hump Island - on the left above. I love swimming and have always been thankful for my lifeguard and swimming lesson instructor days. That's a skill I've resurrected a few times in teaching missionary kids how to swim, including last week!
My head is one of the dots in the water on the right next to the boats - evidently a little off course!
Wish I could have taken a sunrise picture while swimming, but it was incredible to see - this is the view from land thanks to Janette Miller's photography.
Here I am coming back from the swim in the middle seat of a dugout canoe (no round trip for me - over an hour of swimming was long enough - maybe I'll train for next year!)
My cheering squad was waiting for me with pancakes and smiles
Abi and I enjoyed kayaking together
Never thought I'd water ski in Africa!
Sunday morning worship service on the lake
![]() |
Monkeys visited us in the mornings - cute until they try to steal your breakfast!
This picture is Kibagora Hospital - our sister hospital that is just up the road from Kumbya. I enjoyed the opportunity to tour their facilities and see their incredible view!
As their new peds ward is under construction, this unicef tent functions as a temporary ward - it's hot in there!
View from the hospital
The Fader family and me
My small group for the conference. The topic for the week was forgiveness - a relevant topic for everyone. The discussions were especially interesting as people with years of experience as missionaries in East Central Africa shared about forgiveness in an African context, related to the Rwandan genocide, Burundian war, and simply cross cultural differences in many areas. I appreciated their wisdom, honesty, and focus on grace - extending and receiving grace when confused by culture. And my small group was a great blessing to me as we shared about applications in our lives of where we have given and received forgiveness in the past and where we need to do so now.
While it was an encouraging and fun week, it was also great to arrive back in Burundi! Each time I leave and return, this place feels more like home as what was once odd is now familiar - like cow crossings on the highway.
And finally, a sunset over Kibuye Hope Hospital - back to work in Burundi






















Alyssa, Beautiful continent! Great to see a different aspect of it. I am really impressed that you were able to water ski in Africa. As I read this I am filled with gratefulness and joy at God's provision for you and your team as you follow His calling. Love, Daddy
ReplyDeleteLooks like fun! Congrats on the swim.
ReplyDelete